Sunday, August 1, 2010

Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie

For some reason I was craving chocolate chip cookies today.  Maybe its the cold weather or the fact that we have nothing but ice cream as a dessert in our house right now.  I have never made this recipe before and I do recommend it.  The cookies spread a little more than I prefer.  But, they are very chewy in the center - the key is to pull them out before the middle appears fully cooked.  Chilling the dough slightly before making in to balls and cooking helps too.

Optional additional ingredients for this recipe include toasted pecans or walnuts and shredded sweetened coconut.  I never add anything to my chocolate chippers. But I decided to bend my rule and was SO glad I did! 

Chocolate Chip Cookies, The Bride & Groom First and Forever Cookbook
makes about 24

1 c. plus 2 Tbsp flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 c. unsalted butter at room temp
1/2 c. firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 c. sugar
1 c. semisweet chocolate chips
3/4 c. walnuts (I used pecans), toasted and chopped
1/2 c. sweetened shredded coconut

Preheat oven to 350. Position rack in center of oven.

Stir the first three ingredients in bowl and set aside.

Stir together the egg and vanilla in bowl and set aside.

Mix together the butter and sugars until just mixed.  Add egg mixture and beat well, about 10 seconds.  Reduce speed to low and slowly add the dry ingredients and beat until incorporated.  Stir in the chocolate, walnuts and coconut.

Spray 2 baking sheets with vegetable oil cooking spray or line with parchment (I used parchment).

Drop rounded tablespoonfuls of dough  at least 2" apart onto the prepared sheets. Bake until the cookies are golden brown, 10-12* minutes (they will seem underdone). Let the cookies cool on sheets for 2-3 minutes, then transfer to cooling racks and let cool completely.

*Note - I always set my timer for a good 1-2 minutes less than a recipe calls for.  Its always good to check your cookies or cakes in advance in case your sizing varies from recipe or your oven bakes hot/cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment