Sunday, August 1, 2010

Garden Update

Today the garden is in full gear.  Pumpkins and zucchinis are in full bloom and there are even a few golf ball sized pumpkins beginning to form (stay AWAY rabbits!).  Broccoli heads are growing, carrots are thriving, tomatoes are plumping, onions are attempting to enlarge (though a little crowded out by the carrots), and the potato plants are slowly chugging along.  Our fave item so far are the snap peas.  Blake and I pick a handful almost every day and he scarfs them down.
Even a few wild strawberries have made their appearance in our yard in many random places.  Between the bricks by our BBQ, between rocks by the pool, and crammed under an azalea on the opposite end of the yard.  I added some store bought strawberry plants by our dining room to copy our neighbor.  They have an amazing strawberry patch in their completely unbelieveable back yard... talk about garden/flower/peaceful setting jealousy!

One of the wild plants:
The only plant that has not thrived are the raspberries.  One died and the other is slowly coming along. I know these can take a few years to mature, but I was being impatient and hoped I'd be picking plump berries this summer.  The memories of spending the day at my grandparents' house and going to pick raspberries to top my cereal... yum. 

No comments:

Post a Comment