This may be one of my new all time favorite meals. I kept seeing the recipe in our family cookbook and I finally decided to try it. It is from my cousin Kelley and she is a great cook, so knowing it is something her family really likes is a good selling point.
Luckily it was a very chilly summer day when I made this. It is more suitable for fall or winter due to the rich flavors. This would also be excellent for a dinner party because you can make it the day before. Don't be surprised if I serve this to you when you come over! We can't wait to make it again.
Note - I realized I didn't have whole, dried ancho chilies when I got home from store. So instead I used 1tsp dried ancho chili powder. 3 chilies will typically equal 1 tsp powder, but always be cautious depending on spice level you want and if children will be eating. You can always add more spice - you can't take spice away! With my 1tsp there was no heat...
Luckily it was a very chilly summer day when I made this. It is more suitable for fall or winter due to the rich flavors. This would also be excellent for a dinner party because you can make it the day before. Don't be surprised if I serve this to you when you come over! We can't wait to make it again.
Note - I realized I didn't have whole, dried ancho chilies when I got home from store. So instead I used 1tsp dried ancho chili powder. 3 chilies will typically equal 1 tsp powder, but always be cautious depending on spice level you want and if children will be eating. You can always add more spice - you can't take spice away! With my 1tsp there was no heat...
Ancho Braised Beef
3lb Beef Chuck, trimmed and cut into large pieces
Vegetable Oil
2 onions, sliced
4 slices bacon – tie in a ball
4 ancho chilies, buy dried – cut off top and dump out seeds
1 oz garlic, chopped
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp thyme
3/4 tsp oregano
2 oz tomato paste
5 c. beef broth (I prefer low sodium broth)
1 Tbsp salt
1 tsp pepper
Brown meat in vegetable oil in groups, set aside. Sauté onions until brown, add garlic and spices.
Add stock & tomato paste. Then add the dried anchos and bacon "ball".
In a large baking tray, add beef and pour liquid mixture over. Cover with foil.
Bake 375 degrees for 1 ½ hours. Pull out chilies and scrape pulp. Add pulp back to pan. Bake 1 more hour.
*If liquid is still runny, pull out beef and place pan over cooktop and reduce until thickened (boil over med high for 20 minutes or so)
I like to cook the day before. Cool and put pan in fridge. Bake for 350 degrees 45 minutes the night you want to eat.
Serve over polenta cooked with green chilies and Monterey Jack cheese.
*I had never made polenta before today. Talk about easiest thing ever! Takes about ten minutes to make the below recipe I created, and so tasty. A definite must for the ancho braised beef.
Polenta with Green Chilies and Monterey Jack Cheese
Polenta with Green Chilies and Monterey Jack Cheese
Corn Meal - I used Albers Yellow Corn Meal, and followed directions for 6 servings
4-8oz Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (depending on your love of cheese)
1 small can of chopped mild green chilies
Follow directions on side of box to make polenta. Once polenta appears smooth I added the chilies and cheese and stirred. Serve immediately and top with ancho braised beef.
For another take, you could make polenta in advance and place in a pyrex style dish and store in fridge. When ready to serve, cut firmed up polenta in to large squares and then pan fry. Serve with ancho braised beef on top.
No comments:
Post a Comment