Thursday, March 15, 2012

St.Patrick's Day Treats

I'll be away on a girls getaway this weekend, and over the St.Patty's day holiday.  I love St.Patrick's Day and dying food green.  Green milk, green pancakes, green cookies, green whatever!  Each year I typically dye the kids' milk green and make green pancakes, followed by corned beef and cabbage for dinner with green beer (for the adults!) and a green themed dessert.  And no, we're not Irish.

To make up for being gone, today the kids and I made green cookies.  We did this last year, and my son still remembers it! So, now it has apparently become a tradition of sorts. 

We cheated and used a store bought sugar cookie mix and during the mixing process I added a few globs of green food coloring gel.  The kids rolled the dough in to balls and threw them on the cookie sheets.  I smooshed the cookies down a bit and then the kids topped with festive sprinkles.

For the girls trip I decided to make rice krispie treats.  One of the gals has gone insane and gave up chocolate and hard alcohol for Lent.  Who does that?  And when there is a girls weekend involved!? :)  So, this dessert was just for her.  I tried to be festive and make the treats green, but clearly I didn't put nearly enough green dye in the melted marshmallows.  So I added some of those festive sprinkles to the top of the treats after the cereal/marshmallow mix had been pressed down in to the pan.
Happy (early) St. Patrick's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment