Thanks again to Pinterest (the ultimate time-sucking-idea-generating-website), I discovered a new craft. 'Engraving' glass with an etching paint, creating a whole new world of possibilities for wedding, shower and holiday gifts. Using etching paint, you can personalize glass baking dishes, trifle bowls, drinking glasses, carafes....
I have a girls weekend coming up, and for every trip each attendee brings a 'trip toy'. These trip toys can be very personalized to the individual, to the city we're visiting, or just something the gift giver likes. I already have a gift for my trip toy, but really wanted to make each gal their own wine glass. It is a girls weekend after all, and I know there will be plenty of wine and cocktails (and mocktails) consumed!
I found a font I liked on my computer and printed out the first letter of each gals name. I chose lowercase to be a little more modern and fun, then printed the letters out. I then placed the printed letters/paper on top of contact paper and heavily traced around each letter with a pencil, making an impression on the contact paper. Using a blade, I carefully cut out the letters using the impression I had made and then carefully placed on each glass. Contact paper is sticky, so when you'll need to move slowly and carefully - 'cause once it sticks, you'll have a little challenge to peel it off and reposition. I learned this the hard way... Also, make sure you really stick the contact or sticker paper on to your glass. Use your fingernails to gently rub the edges and smooth out any bubbles.
The glasses ready for 'painting':The etching paint needs to stay on the glass for at least a minute. After experimenting, I let the paint stay on for five minutes. Then carefully wash it off. Don't get this paint on your skin - you don't want to etch your hands!
The finished glasses turned out even better than I had hoped. I was so giddy that I was trying to find something else to etch. Fortunately, my daughter woke up from her nap just in time to stop my craziness.
Wah-lah! Probably one of the coolest crafts I've done in recent memory. I used the Armour Etch Glass Etching Cream that can be found at most craft stores. Its a little more pricey than I expected, but using a 40% off coupon, the cream cost about $7. I bought the smallest size possible, and I think it will last for quite a few projects! Happy Etching!
No comments:
Post a Comment