Ever try a recipe thinking it will turn out better than the original? I did that today. Our local newspaper printed an article that included a recipe for homemade Hostess Cupcakes. I used to love these chocolately treats as a surprise in my lunch as a child. How you could try to peel off the 'frosting', and eat around the fluffy filling. Chocolately, moist, and yummy.
So today I gathered up all the ingredients, made a complete mess of my kitchen (you have to make the cupcake batter, creme filling, chocolate glaze frosting, and pipe the swirls), and was totally pleased with the way they turned out. Or should I say the way they looked. That was until I tasted them. These little hockey-pucks of cream filled chocolate were nasty. Neither my husband or I could finish one, which is pretty amazing... we both love sweets, and chocolate. The cake was actually okay, but a little dense (to hold in the filling), and the filling had great flavor. But the frosting was totally wrong, and when combined, the recipe was just a disaster!
I know Cooks Illustrated printed a make at home Hostess Cupcake recipe a few years back, and after reading through their version, I'm sure it would turn out much better. But for now, I have retired from baking knock off Hostess treats and will just buy one at the store if I am craving one (which I'm not... at least not after today!).
So today I gathered up all the ingredients, made a complete mess of my kitchen (you have to make the cupcake batter, creme filling, chocolate glaze frosting, and pipe the swirls), and was totally pleased with the way they turned out. Or should I say the way they looked. That was until I tasted them. These little hockey-pucks of cream filled chocolate were nasty. Neither my husband or I could finish one, which is pretty amazing... we both love sweets, and chocolate. The cake was actually okay, but a little dense (to hold in the filling), and the filling had great flavor. But the frosting was totally wrong, and when combined, the recipe was just a disaster!
I know Cooks Illustrated printed a make at home Hostess Cupcake recipe a few years back, and after reading through their version, I'm sure it would turn out much better. But for now, I have retired from baking knock off Hostess treats and will just buy one at the store if I am craving one (which I'm not... at least not after today!).
No comments:
Post a Comment