I've been holding on to this Cheese Danish recipe by Ina Garten for over a year now. Waiting for the right time to try it out. I figured I should stop waiting and just make it already. My husband is at a bachelor party for the next four days and I'm sure the kids would love an excuse to eat something other than oatmeal or cereal for breakfast. So, today was the day!
I had everything I needed except the Ricotta cheese. I can tell the colds my children have been suffering from is making its way to my head because I stared at this package of Ricotta cheese for about five minutes. "Ricotta con Latte". All I kept wondering was if this was coffee flavored? I looked all over the packaging and then came to the realization that coffee flavored ricotta would be gross. And that it was the name of the company's ricotta product. I think I need some cold medicine, stat.
Cream cheese, ricotta, egg, vanilla and lemon zest get mixed together.And become a beautiful mild yellow color.
Cut a two thawed sheet of parchment in to eight squares (four per sheet). Put a glob of the ricotta mix in the center.
Brush an egg wash around the edges and fold up two opposite corners. Note - I think my filling should have been refrigerated for 10 or 15 minutes to prevent it from spreading on pastry. The waiting for the pastry sheets to fully thaw took longer than planned so my mix was a little warm.
After just 15 minutes in the oven, the danishes were ready!Not the most gorgeous end result, but the creamy, lemony flavor of the danish was very good. Both kids loved these and I do plan to make again. The end product makes it seem like a very labor intensive recipe. But with using premade pastry and a quick filling, this could easily be done the morning of a brunch or made the night before and baked the morning before an event.
Next time I may omit the lemon zest and try vanilla bean? You could even mix in a handful of mini chocolate chips or chopped fruit? Yum! Thanks, Ina! Click Here to view the recipe on Food Network's website.
No comments:
Post a Comment