Friday, March 4, 2011

Seared Sea Scallops with Butternut Squash Puree

I saw this recipe weeks ago and my mouth started to water.  Seared sea scallops over one of my favorite foods?  Yum.  Ironically, I had almost the same dish at the chic Chez Shea in Seattle a few weeks back.  But, now I had a recipe to try in my own kitchen.  It did not disappoint, and both Tony and my mom couldn't stop raving about it either.  I can't wait to make this again!

The scallops searing in a very hot pan.  Don't over cook these puppies; about 90 seconds a side.  They're too expensive and too tasty to ruin with a fear of undercooked seafood.  I do recommend you buy sashimi grade scallops, which are more expensive, but also more tasty.
Here the sage butter is browning with the shallot, sage and lemon juice.
The finished product.  A bed of creamy squash topped with hot, seared scallops draped in warm sage butter.  Every bite was unbelievable.  I served with a side of roasted asparagus and fresh baked bread.
Seared Scallops with Butternut Squash and Sage Butter, courtesy of America's Test Kitchen
1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut in to 1" chunks
1 Tbsp half and half
4 Tbsp unsalted butter
Salt & pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (I didn't use)
1 1/2 lbs large sea scallops
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 shallot, minced
2 tsp minced fresh sage and 8 whole sage leaves
1 Tbsp lemon juice

Cube squash and toss with a bit of olive oil.  Place on a cookie sheet and roast until tender.  Transfer to a food processor.  Add half and half, 1 Tbsp butter, 1/2 tsp salt, cayenne and puree until smooth.  Set aside and keep warm.

Pat scallops dry and season with salt and pepper.  Heat 1 Tbsp oil in large nonstick skillet over high heat until just smoking. Add scallops and cook, without moving them, until well browned - only 90-120 seconds.  Flip scallops and cook until sides are firm and centers opaque, about 30-90 seconds.  Move scallops to a plate and loosely tent with foil. 

Heat remaining butter over medium heat and stir constantly until butter has nutty aroma, about 1 minute. Add shallot, minced sage, and sage leaves and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Off heat, stir in lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. 

Dollop a serving of squash on each plate and then top with scallops.  Pour the sage butter over scallops and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment