Saturday, March 12, 2011

Cook'n!

Today we lost our minds a little and decided to start smoking a pork shoulder in the early afternoon.  We plan to pull it and make pulled pork sandwiches for dinner tomorrow.  Unfortunately, due to our lack of planning, the pork was done at 1am.  Next time?  Remember to put the damn pork on the grill before the day gets underway!
Meanwhile, Blake and I made a batch of oatmeal, chocolate chip, coconut cookies.  The recipe is from my aunt's mother, Vi.  She was such a fun lady and I'll never forget her!  These bad boys are pretty darn good. The coconut has a subtle flavor so don't be scared... or you can leave out completely. 
And while the cookies were baking, I started a batch of tortilla soup.  My friend Libby posted this recipe on her blog and it looked delicious.  I'm sure glad I made it because Tony couldn't stop raving about it and the kids went crazy for it!  Plus, why would you not try a recipe that involves a slow cooker?  They're the best...save on time and fills your house with great smells all day. 
The finished product garnished with fresh cilantro, sour cream, a squeeze of lime and a sprinkling of shredded cheese.
Grandma Vi's Oatmeal Cookies, courtesy of grandma Vi
1 c. brown sugar

1 c. sugar
1 c. shortening

Mix above ingredients together and add 2 eggs and 1 tsp vanilla.

Sift together:
2 c. sifted flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder

Add dry mixture to wet. Then add:
1 c. coconut
2 c. oatmeal
1 c. cornflakes (I forgot to add, but they still tasted good!)
1 c. chocolate chips
Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes. (I checked these cookies at 8 minutes and they were done)


Tortilla Soup, courtesy of Libby
2 frozen chicken breasts

1 - 28oz can diced tomatoes
1 - 10oz can enchilada sauce
1 medium onion, chopped
1 - 4oz can chopped green chile peppers (use mild if kids are eating)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 - 32oz container chicken broth
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 bay leaf
1 - 10oz package frozen corn
1 can black beans rinsed and drained
1 Tbsp chopped cilantro

Place everything into a slow-cooker. Stir. Cover, and cook on High setting for 5 hours. One half hour before serving remove chicken from soup and using two forks shred. Put chicken back into soup and stir. Let cook for remaining time.

Top soup with sour cream, shredded cheese, tortilla chips, avocado slices, chopped cilantro and lime wedges.

1 comment:

  1. Made the soup last night. My slow cooker was too small so I put in in a huge pot on the stove. Lost convenience but it was REALLY good and easy! Will definitely make again!

    ReplyDelete