Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Chicken Yakisoba

This dinner was so good we already have plans to make it again next week.  The flavors are excellent and the kids loved it.  I loved it because one of the main ingredients were Ramen noodles.  You know, the buy 10 for a dollar Ramen instant noodles!

The recipe calls for 2Tbsp rice wine and 2Tbsp mirin.  I did buy the mirin but realized when I got home that I only had rice vinegar and not the rice wine.  To make up for it I added some of my rice vinegar as well as some sesame oil.  I'm addicted to the smell of sesame oil for some reason.  So yummy.  So, if you don't have one or other of these ingredients, just add a dash of this or that.  But, do include the soy sauce - without it you'd lose a main flavor of the dish.

The veggies and shredded ginger wait to go in the hot pan.

The finished product.
And because no dinner is complete without a cocktail(?), I tried to recreate an amazing drink I had in San Francisco with my girlfriends.  Its called a Bella, and contains agave nectar, gin, cucumber vodka, pineapple and basil.  I think I figured it out.  After a few drinks....
Chicken Yakisoba, courtesy of America's Test Kitchen
4 - 3oz packages instant ramen noodles, flavor packets discarded (I saved and used in plain white rice for flavoring with another meal)
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Halve lengthwise and slice thin crosswise.
3 Tbsp oil
1 head bok choy, cut in to 1" pieces
2 carrots, peeled and sliced thin
2 Tbsp fresh ginger, grated
3 scallions sliced thin on bias
1/4 c. soy sauce
2 Tbsp rice wine
2 Tbsp mirin

Bring 4qts water to a boil and add noodles and pinch of salt.  Boil until tender, 2-3 minutes.  Drain and rinse under cold water. Set aside.

Heat 2 Tbsp oil in empty pot over medium high heat until just smoking.  Add chicken and cook until lightly browned and no longer pink, about 2 minutes per side.  Transfer to plate.

Add remaining oil, bok choy and carrots.  Cook till tender, about 3 minutes.  Add ginger and scallions and cook for about 30 seconds.  Stir in noodles and fry until hot, about 1 minute.  Stir in chicken and any accumulated juices, soy sauce, rice wine, and mirind cook  until sauce is thickened and coats noodles and veggies, about 1 minute.  Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment