There isn't anything 'French' about these breakfast puffs, but thats what my grandma always called them. And I don't mind if the name doesn't exactly reflect the baked good because they are such a delightful breakfast or afternoon treat. A basic breakfast muffin dough that is topped with melted butter and a mixture of cinnamon and sugar.
I loved coming home from school or walking in to my grandma's house and smelling these warm muffings, fresh from the oven. As I got older, my grandma would make a batch and package them up for me to take home. I now make this recipe every few months, whenever I want something sweet but don't want to hassle with pancakes or a run to the bakery. My kids and husband are just as big of fans of this treat as I am. Light, sweet and and perfect with a cup of tea or coffee.
The dough doesn't take much time to make. Just make sure your butter is soft (set it out on the counter for a few hours or overnight, or zap for a few seconds in microwave), and use a hand mixer to make it go faster. But a hand mixer really isn't required! I use an ice cream scoop to make my muffins very similar in size.
The finished product (against a very snowy backyard!).The dough doesn't take much time to make. Just make sure your butter is soft (set it out on the counter for a few hours or overnight, or zap for a few seconds in microwave), and use a hand mixer to make it go faster. But a hand mixer really isn't required! I use an ice cream scoop to make my muffins very similar in size.
5 1/2" and still counting and its only 10am. Keep it coming Mother Nature! We've got plenty of warm muffins to keep us warm today!
And by this evening our 4 1/2' tall snowman had grown quite a bit! (and yes, thats our hose caddy helping to hold him up...he got a little too heavy today!)
French Breakfast Puffs, courtesy of Charlotte Smith(click on above graphic to enlarge)

No comments:
Post a Comment