Saturday, January 7, 2012

Avocado and Egg Sandwich

I despise lunch.  I used to look forward to lunch, especially when I worked downtown surrounded by a plethora of restaurants.  Pasta, mexican, sandwiches, seafood, american.  I never got bored of my options, but my wallet sure didn't like it. 

I have worked from home for almost nine years and it is rare for me to be able to leave the house to pick up something for lunch during the week.  Nothing ever sounds great for lunch at home, and its a bonus when I have leftovers from the previous night's dinner. I've been trying to come up with some new ideas.  Something quick and something not overly painful to make, especially for weekend lunch when I'm making food for four.  What do you like to eat for lunch?

For today's lunch with the family I surveyed the fridge and planned on a BLAT sandwich (bacon, lettuce, avocado, tomato).  I had already cooked the bacon so the only work would be slicing the avocado and tomato.  Then I recalled a Barefoot Contessa sandwich that used a fried egg along with bacon and avocado.  So we toasted up some bread, added bacon, fried egg, sliced avocado, salt/pepper and some cream cheese mixed with chopped green onion.  An excellent change from the usual coldcut sandwich.  Great flavors, good crunch and kept us full through the afternoon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment