I've made B's lunch every day since he started going to daycare at just 22 months. The first daycare was small and the teachers would heat up foods if necessary, so I was able to send just about anything for lunch. It was great! Then he moved on to a fancier school setting and every snack/meal was provided! It was a great five months of allowing someone else to make lunch, and there was a big variety of foods served.
Then... we moved up to what B calls his 'real school'. This is where he has gone since last fall and will continue through fifth grade. Wow. But, this is where the challenge comes in. Packing a lunch for a now four year old is tricky. Blake will eat just about any type of food, but lunch items are tough. He isn't a huge sandwich guy aside from soynut butter and jam or banana (no PB allowed...), so lunches are super boring.
Then... we moved up to what B calls his 'real school'. This is where he has gone since last fall and will continue through fifth grade. Wow. But, this is where the challenge comes in. Packing a lunch for a now four year old is tricky. Blake will eat just about any type of food, but lunch items are tough. He isn't a huge sandwich guy aside from soynut butter and jam or banana (no PB allowed...), so lunches are super boring.
The highlight of his year was when I let him take a store bought lunchable to school. I was repulsed by the lack of health in this meal, so I have started making 'homemade lunchables'. Everything goes in to a tupperware and includes crackers, cheese, lunch meat, a fruit, a vegetable, and usually some sort of treat (which I don't include on non-lunchable days...).
We have a cool thermos arriving any day now that is basically an insulated soup bowl with screw on lid (no need to pour contents in to another cup or bowl), which will finally allow for soups, pastas, or even teriyaki chicken and rice! B and I are both so excited. Do not ask me why I didn't think of this two years ago...
This is what I bought in case you're wondering.
Do you have any great kid lunch ideas? I always try to include a main food item, fruit, vegetable (when possible), milk and sometimes something crunchy like goldfish crackers or mini pretzels. Email me and I'd be happy to share!
No comments:
Post a Comment