Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Bread & Butter Pickles

I wasn't sure when to pick my cucumbers from the garden, or what to do with them.  I picked four humongous cucumbers and researched bread and butter pickles.  My grandma-in-law had promised to teach us her recipe for these, but she had to cancel at the last minute.  With four huge cukes (and I mean HUGE) and a fear of them spoiling, I had to venture on my own.

I found two very similar recipes.  One from Smitten Kitchen and the other from Cooks Illustrated.  I stuck with the SK version for my first adventure in pickling and loved the result.

Sliced onion and cucumbers ready for a couple hour long salt and ice bath.
After draining off the melted ice and adding the pickling juices, the project was complete!
It only takes a few hours for the pickling flavor to set in, and these should last a few weeks in the fridge.  I sure hope my neighbors like bread and butter pickles because there are even more cukes waiting to be picked in the garden!

Bread & Butter Pickles, courtesy of Smitten Kitchen
Makes 4 cups of pickles, filling a 1-quart jar

1 lb cucumbers, sliced 1/4-inch thick
1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
1/4 c. Diamond Kosher salt (I used regular kosher salt and a little less than 1/4c.)
1/2 to 3/4 cups sugar
1/2 c. distilled white vinegar
1/4 tsp ground turmeric
1 Tbsp mustard seeds
1 Tbsp coriander seeds (if ground, use 1 teaspoon)
1/4 tsp celery seed

In a medium bowl, combine the cucumbers, onion and salt. Mix well. Cover the mixture with ice. Let stand at room temperature for two hours. In a pot, bring sugar, vinegar and spices to a boil. Drain cucumbers and onions. Add to vinegar mixture and bring almost back to a boil. Remove from heat and cool. You can store the pickles in an airtight container for up to three weeks in the fridge. They will begin tasting pickled in just a couple hours.

*I had to double the recipe due to my cucumbers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment