Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Vegetable Garden

I am excited to say my vegetable garden is sprouting and thriving!  I transplanted the seedlings a week ago, and they are loving their new home.  I had hoped to build my own planters out of lumber, but found really nice heavy-plastic planters at the hardware store and decided those would be just fine.  I now have about 32 square feet of planting area!

I completely forgot about these wild strawberries that pop up back by our shed.  The berries are so tiny and good, I just need to keep the wildlife away from them this year!
Little carrot sprouts thriving in their new home.
The broccoli is growing like mad!
 And my snap pea plants are climbing away!
The garlic, sweet onions, green onions, sage, pumpkins and potatoes are all off to a good start as well.  I'm really looking forward to eating out of our garden in a few months!

The zucchini starts started off SO strong and I couldn't wait for the end product.  But, with Blake 'helping' me transplant, we ended up losing most of the plants.  He preferred carrying the plants by their stems resulting in decapitation of the seeding! :)  I bought some cucumber starts from the store and hope to buy zucchini starts to replace my seedlings.

I've already had to spray for some bugs attempting to eat our veggies (using a veggie safe bug replellant), but I think we're growing good!

No comments:

Post a Comment