Monday, May 17, 2010

Roasted Shrimp with Orzo & Homemade Baking Powder Biscuits

I originally made this Barefoot Contessa dish in the fall and fell in love with the crunch of the english cucumber, creamy feta and roasted shrimp capped off with the flavor of dill.  It would make for a great side with grilled chicken, but we prefer to eat it as a main course.
Roasted Shrimp with Orzo
Kosher salt
Good olive oil
3/4 lb orzo pasta
1/2 c. freshly squeezed lemon juice
Freshly ground black pepper
2 lb (16 to 18 count) shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 c. minced scallions, white and green parts
1 c. chopped fresh dill
1 c. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 English cucumber, unpeeled, seeded, and medium-diced
1/2 c. small-diced red onion
3/4 lb good feta cheese, large diced (or pre-crumbled)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Fill a large pot with water, add 1 tablespoon of salt and a splash of oil, and bring the water to a boil. Add the orzo and simmer for 9 to 11 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it's cooked al dente. Drain and pour into a large bowl. Whisk together the lemon juice, 1/2 cup olive oil, 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper. Pour over the hot pasta and stir well.

Meanwhile, place the shrimp on a sheet pan, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to combine and spread out in a single layer. Roast for 5 to 6 minutes, until the shrimp are cooked through. Don't overcook!

Add the shrimp to the orzo and then add the scallions, dill, parsley, cucumber, onion, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Toss well. Add the feta and stir carefully. Set aside at room temperature for 1 hour to allow the flavors to blend, or refrigerate overnight. If refrigerated, taste again for seasonings and bring back to room temperature before serving.

*I typically add more feta than called for (heck, I always add more cheese or garlic than instructed!) and strongly suggest eating at room temperature.  Eating this salad cold hinders it's flavor!

*Next Recipe*
I was craving some sort of bread as a side to the orzo so I helped Blake make my grandma's baking powder bisquits.  They are very basic and a good recipe for a kiddo to help with.  Blake had a great time until I asked him to use his hands to squeeze/mix the dough together.  He claimed it was too messy, removed his chef's hat and went to play with his trains.  (side note - he requested his apron and hat.  He must see how dirty my clothes can get!)
These bisquits have a plain taste which is nice when your main course has such strong flavor.  But I prefer these biscuits with butter and/or some sort of spread to give them some oompf!  Next time I may top bisquit rounds with melted butter and a few sprinkles of sea salt before I place in oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment