Thursday, May 20, 2010

Pasta with Prosciutto and Asparagus

I love when spring arrives because all the farmer's markets arrive too.  Today I stopped by the Bellevue market to pick up my favorite flower - peonies!  You have to get to the market early as these flowers always sell out fast.  I also picked up fresh made bread to go with our dinner of grilled chicken and proscuitto and asparagus pasta.

The pasta recipe is an oldie but goodie from Martha Stewart.  I don't know why I haven't made it before because the end result was very tasty and Blake asked me for another helping!
Don't let the cooking/blanching of asparagus scare you. I cooked asparagus in my big pot and used the same water to boil the pasta.  
And let me tell you a secret - I only have one true mixing bowl. And it's very small. Yes, me of all people has just one bowl for mixing (aside from my giant KitchenAid mixer).  It may be time to finally buy another one, that actually fits an asparagus spear! (and don't you love the top/bottom pic of asparagus on here? I saw this idea on another site and loved it!)
This dish was delicious.  A little sprinkling of parm on top and it was good to go!
Pasta with Prosciutto and Asparagus, Martha Stewart Living 2000
1 pound Fresh Pasta (I use dried pasta like Campanielle)
1 pound asparagus, trimmed
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon olive oil
4 ounces prosciutto, cut in pieces
2 tablespoons fresh sage leaves, thinly sliced
2 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (I did not use nutmeg, but next time I may try dash)
Freshly ground pepper
2 ounces Parmesan cheese, optional

Fill a bowl with ice and water; set aside. Bring a pot of water to a simmer; blanch asparagus about 5 minutes, just until tender. Transfer to the ice bath. When cool, drain and cut into 2-inch lengths; set aside.

Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add 1 tablespoon salt; cook pasta until al dente, about 1 minute. Drain, and set aside.

Heat a saute pan over medium heat; add oil. Add prosciutto; saute 2 to 3 minutes, until browned. Add sage and cream; cook until cream is slightly reduced and thickened, about 8 minutes. Add reserved asparagus and pasta; warm about 3 minutes. Serve with nutmeg and pepper, and the grated Parmesan cheese if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment