One of our family favorite dessert bar is Gooey Butter Cake. We became familiar with this addicting treat a few years ago when a friend's neighbor dropped off a warm batch. When our friends asked for the neighbor's recipe they were told it was a family secret.
The next day I was putting cream cheese on a bagel and noticed a recipe on the side of the Kroger cream cheese box for Gooey Butter Cake! I couldn't believe it! The 'secret' family recipe wasn't so secret after all. Paula Deen has a few variations of this recipe online too.
The bar is a two step process to make, but doesn't require many ingredients. I only have a picture I have of this cookie is in the creating process. They disappear too quickly to take an 'after' shot! :)
The next day I was putting cream cheese on a bagel and noticed a recipe on the side of the Kroger cream cheese box for Gooey Butter Cake! I couldn't believe it! The 'secret' family recipe wasn't so secret after all. Paula Deen has a few variations of this recipe online too.
The bar is a two step process to make, but doesn't require many ingredients. I only have a picture I have of this cookie is in the creating process. They disappear too quickly to take an 'after' shot! :)
Gooey Butter Cake
Base:
1 pkg yellow cake mix
1/2 c. butter, softened
1 egg
Topping:
1 - 8 oz pkg cream cheese, softened
2 eggs
1 - 1 lb box confectioners' sugar
1 tsp vanilla
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Mix together dry cake mix with butter and 1 egg. Pat base mixture into an ungreased 9 x 13 inch cake pan.
Cream together cream cheese, eggs, powdered sugar and vanilla. Pour over base mixture, spreading evenly. Bake for 35 minutes. May be slightly wobbly in center.
When cake has cooled top lightly with powdered sugar and cut in to small squares.
No comments:
Post a Comment