Blake likes to tell me that I'm a 'maker'. I make, bake, cook, create all sort of things in all sorts of mediums. So I guess he is right! Today I put my 'maker' skills to action and made a batch of pumpkin butter (my kids are addicted - on toast and waffles it can't be beat), a huge batch of gingered carrot soup and a week's worth of muesli. The latter two recipes are part of my 28 to Great challenge. I wish the pumpkin butter was part of the healthy menu suggestions... I could eat a whole jar! Click here for my pumpkin butter recipe.
I'll be honest, I wasn't very excited to try the muesli because it seems a little like 'horse food'. But, when you add the suggested plain nonfat or lowfat yogurt, nonfat milk or almond milk with about a half cup of berries and a splash of honey, you have got a pretty tasty breakfast!
And the gingered carrot soup is fantastic. The flavor is really kicked up a notch when you serve it with chopped cilantro! Give these recipes a try - they are all perfect for the fall.
Both recipes are courtesy of barre3 and Julia Sarver of Glow Health Coaching.
Both recipes are courtesy of barre3 and Julia Sarver of Glow Health Coaching.
Morning MÜESLI
4 servings
1/2 c. rolled oats
1-2 tablespoons raw walnuts
1 tablespoon unsweetened coconut flakes (optional)
1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
1/2 c. organic berries
Sprinkle of cinnamon and nutmeg for flavor (optional)
Top with a little milk (organic dairy or unsweetened coconut, almond or hemp milk)
Combine first 6 ingredients in a bowl.
Top with coconut or almond milk and enjoy.
You can also pour 4 ounces of boiling water over the meal if you want to create a semi-oatmeal type breakfast.
Gingered Carrot SoupServes 8
This is a perfect light soup for lunchtime. Be sure to use the regular coconut milk, not the Lite version, to get the full benefits of the milk.
2 tablespoons coconut oil
2 medium leeks, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons minced gingerroot
4 tablespoons dry sherry or white wine
3 lbs carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
4 cups vegetable broth
1 teaspoon ground ginger
sea salt to taste
1 can coconut milk (Native Forest, full-fat)
Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the leek and gingerroot and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables start to brown—about 5 minutes. Add the sherry and carrots and stir to cook for about 1 minute.
Add the broth, ground ginger, and salt to taste and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a moderate simmer, cover, and cook until the carrots are tender— about 30 minutes.
Puree soup in batches and bring back to pot. Add coconut milk and stir.
Return the soup to a clean pot and reheat briefly. Do not let soup boil. Add additional coconut milk if desired. Garnish with cilantro and serve.

No comments:
Post a Comment