Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Skillet Orzo and Shrimp with Feta Cheese

If you haven't caught on by now, I recently purchased the America's Test Kitchen 30 Minute Suppers magazine. It was starting at me while I waited in line at the market.  Mostly it was the seared scallops on a bed of mashed butternut squash that enticed me.  Haven't made that recipe yet because I found quite a few others that looked just as good and a little more family friendly.

The dish I made tonight is called Skillet Orzo and Shrimp with Feta Cheese.  Excellent, yummy dish.  It is much heartier than I expected, thanks to the tomatoes and lots of melted feta.

I had two issues with this dish.
1. We don't have Ouzo in our liquor cabinet and I didn't want to purchase a bottle.  Ouzo is a anise flavored liquor from Greece.  So I used the recipe's suggestion of mixing 1 Tbsp vodka with a large pinch of anise seeds for the marinade portion.  I skipped adding the suggested 2 Tbsp vodka plus 1/4 tsp anise seeds to the sauce in skillet - I was afraid it would be too much anise flavor if one of us got a mouthful of seeds.

2. The last few directions say to place the shrimp as well as cheese on top of the orzo mix and place under broiler.  Some of the shrimp were covered with cheese and were not getting cooked. I had to flip and un-hide some of the shrimp and stir the dish to get them to bake properly.  So I recommend topping the dish with the shrimp for a few minutes, then adding the feta and broiling for just a minute or two more.

This dish wasn't extremely popular with our 3 year old. I think the feta and dill gave it a taste he isn't accustomed to.  But, he did eat the shrimp I cut up, probably because he had no idea what it was.  Meanwhile, Tony and I thought it was very good!

Skillet Orzo and Shrimp with Feta Cheese, courtesy of America's Test Kitchen 30 Minute Suppers
1 1/2lbs jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined (remove tails!)
3 Tbsp Olive oil
3 Tbsp Ouzo (or 1 Tbsp vodka mixed with pinch of anise seeds for marinade/2 Tbsp vodka with 1/4tsp anise seeds for sauce)
5 garlic cloves, minced
salt/pepper
1 onion, chopped
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 1/2 c. orzo
1 28oz can diced tomatoes
1 1/2 c. water
1 c. crumbled feta
2 Tbsp fresh dill, chopped

Position oven rack 5" from heating element and heat broiler.  Toss shrimp, 1 Tbsp oil, 1 Tbsp ouzo (or vodka mix), 1 garlic clove, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/8 tsp black pepper in bowl.

Heat remaining oil in large oven safe skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering.  Add onion and cook until soft, about 4 min. Add remaining garlic and pepper flakes and cook  until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add orzo and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 2 min. Add remaining ouzo (or vodka mix) and cook until evaporated, about 30 seconds.  Stir in tomatoes and water and cook, stir frequently, until liquid is absorbed and orzo is al dente, 10-12 min.  Season with salt and pepper.

Scatter shrimp and cheese over the orzo. Transfer skillet to oven and broil until shrimp are coked and cheese is milted, 4-6min.  Sprinkle with dill and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment