Monday, November 22, 2010

Sugar Pumpkin

After reading a friend's blog post about roasting sugar pumpkins and making her own puree, I knew I had to give it a shot.  I have never used fresh pumpkin to make a pie.  I never even thought about it since you can buy pumpkin puree in a can.  There was only one sugar pumpkin in the grocery store so I figured I better buy it and try it.
Cut the pumpkin in half and scoop out the seeds.  Place cut side down on a rimmed baking sheet and add water about 1/4-1/2" deep.  Bake in the oven at 375 for 45minutes or until the pumpkin is tender.
When you take the pumpkin out of the oven they'll look a little deflated.  Let them cool and then scoop out the flesh and store in an air tight container in the fridge.  Follow your favorite recipes calling for pumpkin puree.

The pie I made with fresh pumpkin puree was by far the best pumpkin pie I have ever tasted.  I hope to never use pumpkin out of a can again! 

No comments:

Post a Comment