Sunday, November 7, 2010

Early Turkey Day with Friends

Tonight we hosted a fun early Thanksgiving dinner with some friends.  This was also my first turkey. GULP.
I brined the turkey for 24 hours with Williams-Sonoma dry brine rub.  It smelled divine!  Simmering the gizzards and neck for a few hours to get broth did not smell divine...

After rinsing the turkey I coated both under and over the skin with an butter mixed with fresh herbs, salt and pepper.  This bird  was smelling amazing!  Then it was time to pop it in the oven.  I am addicted to our wireless thermometer (similar to this one).  It is very easy to use and work in the oven or bbq!
The pies were patiently waiting.  Pumpkin and...
Apple.
The bird looked beautiful and was ready to rest for a few minutes before carving and while the gravy was made.
I used the orange-cranberry sauce from Williams-Sonoma (very good), as well as their gravy base to get a little more gravy from the bird (also very good).

Meanwhile, the kids made their own placemats with fall themed cutouts and crayons.  It entertained them for a few minutes! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment