Monday, June 28, 2010

Fire Wire and Citrus Sauce

My mom gave us a cool gadget called a "Fire Wire".  Instead of using the wooden skewers for grilling, the Fire Wire is metal and very flexible and long.  It allows a large amount of food to be placed on each, can bend and twist for small grills or ovens, and the loop/handle stays cool.  We've used it twice in the past week and love it!  Only downside is having to take the food off the wire before serving, since each wire can hold up to 2-3 servings. Available online or at specialty kitchen shops and nicer grocery stores in the Seattle area.

While testing out the Fire Wire with huge baja shrimp, I made a really tasty marinade/sauce.  Take about 1/3-1/2 cup orange marmalade and mix in 2-3 tsp whole grain mustard.  I placed the shrimp on the bbq, and after flipping I coated the cooked side with the sauce.  I coated the other side of the shrimp before serving. (sauce will burn due to sugar content, so don't apply before grilling) 

It added a nice citrus kick that wasn't too sweet.  This citrus-mustard shrimp would go great on a salad or even a side of rice for a quick and easy meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment