Thursday, June 24, 2010

Hot Chicken on a Hot Day

Because a nice, hot day outside makes everyone want to roast a chicken for a few hours in their oven... Clearly the weatherman's prediction of clouds was wrong, and I'm not complaining about it.  But, I probably wouldn't have roasted a chicken...

I stuffed the bird's cavity with a quartered onion, 3 sliced garlic cloves, a lemon cut in to 8 chunks, fresh lemon thyme, salt and pepper.  On the outside I sprinkled the bird with salt and pepper and drizzled a little olive oil.  I let a few slices of lemon and onion pieces sit alongside the chicken while it cooked giving the juices a little more flavor. 

Roast at 425 for 15 minutes, breast side down.  Then reduce to 350 degrees and cook until chicken is done.  Baste with juices throughout the cooking time.

Total time is usually 15 minutes per pound and a few minutes rest time once out of the oven.  Make sure the juices run clear if you poke skin/meat and the internal temperature is 165 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer.

No comments:

Post a Comment