Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce

Every Tuesday we have organic produce delivered to our doorstep from Full Circle Farm.  I originally bought this as one of those daily internet deals.  But, we loved the taste and the quality of everything that arrived so we've kept the weekly delivery going for a couple months.

Today there were three rhubarb stalks in our order.  I have never cooked with rhubarb and always turned down offers of strawberry rhubarb pie or similar as a child.  I'm not sure why especially since my grandma was the one making it all.  But, having this in today's box of produce was a sign that I needed to give rhubarb a fair shot.

I found a very basic strawberry rhubarb sauce recipe on Martha Stewart's website.  Martha recommends the sauce be used on vanilla ice cream and I plan t use it over home made shortcakes for tonight's dessert.  Homemade meaning the shortcake recipe on the side of the Bisquick box.  Never tried it?  You are missing out my friends! (recipe is below)

The finished strawberry rhubarb sauce was sweet and you could taste both of the fruits.  I couldn't eat enough of it either which makes me really regret all those years of refusing to try my grandma's homemade rhubarb treats.

Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce, courtesy of Martha Stewart
1 lb strawberries, hulled and quartered
2 rhubarb stalks, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (2 c.)
1/2 c. sugar

In a large saucepan, place strawberries, rhubarb, sugar, and 1/4 cup water; bring to a simmer over high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until rhubarb begins to break down, 6 to 8 minutes.

Refrigerate until cool, at least 1 hour and up to 1 week. Spoon strawberry-rhubarb sauce over scoops of ice cream. (Or with shortcakes as my family did today!)


Bisquick Classic Shortcake Recipe
2 1/3 c. Original Bisquick® mix
1/2 c. milk
3 Tbsp sugar
3 Tbsp butter or margarine, melted

Heat oven to 425°F. In medium bowl, stir Bisquick mix, milk, sugar and the butter until soft dough forms. On ungreased cookie sheet, drop dough by 6 big spoonfuls*. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.

*I like to sprinkle the tops of each unbaked shortcake with sugar before they're baked.

No comments:

Post a Comment