Monday, May 21, 2012

Ojai Wrap

This weekend we had the pleasure of staying at the gorgeous Ojai Valley Inn & Spa in Ojai, CA.  I loved everything about this resort, aside from the lack of air conditioning (or not understanding how to work the room's thermostat?). 

We had a great lunch post-massage, pre-pool that was both light and filling.  We dined al fresco on a pergola covered terrace, overlooking 200 year old oak trees and the golf course.  I ordered a wrap filled with grilled chicken, arugula, shaved fennel, parmesan, lemon and roasted garlic aioli.  The wrap was very visually pleasing and also a trick on the eye.  While rolled up, the wrap seemed average size. But when one of the wraps fell apart, my entire plate was filled with a giant salad.  Kind of glad I didn't eat all three portions of the roll!  Plus, I had to eat most of the fries.  So good.

The kicker to the meal was my iced tea.  It came with mint infused simple syrup.  I always add sweetener to my tea (I'm a die hard southern sweet tea lover), and the subtle hint of mint was a perfect addition.

Below is my take on my yummy lunch...

Jodi's Grilled Chicken Ojai Wrap
1 large chicken breast, grilled and sliced very thin
4-5 handfuls of arugula
1 small tomato, diced
1/2 c. shaved fennel
Shaved parmesan
1/2 lemon, juiced
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 tsp champagne vinegar
2 large tortillas or wraps

Mix together the lemon juice, garlic, olive oil and vinegar (red wine vinegar would be okay to use too).  Season with salt and pepper.  Add more lemon juice or vinegar depending on your taste (it should have a nice lemon tang to it).

In a bowl, mix together the sliced chicken, arugula, tomato and fennel.  Add the lemon garlic dressing and toss.  Divide the mixture among two large wraps and sprinkle with the parmesan.  Roll up tightly and cut in half on an angle (makes your easy to make wrap look a bit fancier).  Serve with a side seasoned french fries or a bowl of seasonal fruit.

Now imagine you're sitting in 80 degree weather, overlooking beautiful mountains and a golf course. I sat inside looking out my window at the rain as I ate this today...  Ojai, oh how I miss you!

*I used a large flour tortilla, but you could use whole wheat or flavored wraps, pita bread, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment