Friday, May 11, 2012

Snacks

I feel like I've done something right.  When it was our turn to bring snacks to my son's t-ball game, I asked what he wanted to do.  I gave a few suggestions and B said he wanted water, apples and kettle corn!  No juice.  No gummy fruit, a real apple.  No crazy sugar high, just a little hint of sweet on some popcorn and pure water. 

This may not be shocking, but my kid is like most.  Give him the choice of chocolate or grapes, he will head straight for the dreamy chocolate (so would I).  Some of the previous snacks were peanut butter chocolate candies with gummy fruit and fruit juice.  That was one seriously oversugared Saturday.  Another time it was more juice and frosted animal crackers.  So B's choice of a mostly healthy snack made me very proud.  It also made me very nervous about how the other kids would react.

The team reactions?  They loved it!  One boy did ask if they were getting anything else, which cracked me up.  I  made extra little baggies of kettle corn and passed them out to the team parents.  Everyone deserves a little snack! :)

Grab and Go Snack Ideas for your Team Player:
Goodie Bags - buy some bags in the team's color.  Usually around $4 for 20 bags with ties.

Water:
Our local grocer had mini water bottles for very cheap.  12 mini bottles for under $4. 

Fruit:
Satsumas when in season. 
Small apples, our store had about 10 in a bag for $3. 
Grapes in little plastic baggies.

Sweet or Savory:
Buy a big bag of something and divide in smaller portions with ziploc bags.
Kettle Corn.  Trader Joe's sells an awesome kettle corn and they have a light version!
Pretzels
Pirate's Booty
Trader Joe's light cheese puffs - they taste just like the real thing and are healthier.
Fruit Leather. Stretch Island Fruits are a great brand!

What snack ideas do you like? I'd love suggestions!

No comments:

Post a Comment