What do you get when you combine 18 meyer lemons worth of peel and a bottle of vodka? Hopefully a very nice limoncello liquor in about 60-80 days! I saw an article about limoncello and have always wanted to make some. Due to the lengthy process, I had to make it today in hopes that it may potentially be ready in time for our Christmas Eve party. I seem to be good at finding 'must do now' projects.
I thought peeling the lemons would be a cinch. Turns out you 'can't' have any white pith on the skin - just pure yellow. This is a bit more work being so careful!By the end of all these lemons I got pretty good at peeling in one continuous strip.
I divided my one 750ml bottle of vodka between 3 jars, then divided the peels evenly between jars.
Turns out I was able to fit all the peels and vodka in to two jars... So much for me dividing the lemon peels in to three pretty, little piles and weighing them (yes, I weighed them)... The color of the peel in the jar is so vibrant, this picture doesn't do it justice.
I then placed the two jars in a dark and cool place and will check on them in 30 days! At that time, I'll add a sugar mix and another 750ml bottle of vodka and let it sit for another few weeks before giving it a try! Stay tuned and stay patient since this will be a long time in the making!
When I was done making liquor I realized I had 18 lemons remaining. What to do, what to do! And I was in the mood to make something with immediate return, instead of the 2-3 month torture of the vodka lemon mix.
I searched the internet for meyer lemon recipes and the one that kept coming up was meyer lemon curd. The curd is imilar to a pudding and is spread on scones, pancakes, muffins, or used in tart-like desserts.
Eggs whisked in bowl.
Lemon juice heating up on stove.
Whisking sugar in to the eggs.
The eggs and lemon mixture on the stove.Adding cream, vanilla and salt after mixture has been removed from stove.
Pressing the mixture through a strainer directly in to a jar.
The finished product is a gorgeous lemon yellow (no pun intended). It's flavor is similar to a semi tart lemon pudding and is amazing on toast, pancakes, and scones. You must give it a try - especially if you make a batch of limoncello!
Lemon Curd, courtesy of Cooks Illustrated
1/3c. lemon juice, from 2 lemons
2 large eggs
1 egg yolk
1/2 c. sugar
2 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes and chilled
1 Tbsp heavy cream
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
pinch table salt
Heat lemon juice in small nonreactive saucepan over medium heat until hot but not boiling. Whisk eggs and yolk in medium nonreactive bowl; gradually whisk in sugar. Whisking constantly, slowly pour hot lemon juice into eggs, then return mixture to saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with wooden spoon, until mixture registers 170 degrees on instant-read thermometer and is thick enough to cling to spoon, about 3 minutes (see photos, below).
Immediately remove pan from heat and stir in cold butter until incorporated; stir in cream, vanilla, and salt, then pour curd through fine-mesh strainer into small nonreactive bowl. Cover surface of curd directly with plastic wrap; refrigerate until needed.
1/3c. lemon juice, from 2 lemons
2 large eggs
1 egg yolk
1/2 c. sugar
2 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes and chilled
1 Tbsp heavy cream
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
pinch table salt
Heat lemon juice in small nonreactive saucepan over medium heat until hot but not boiling. Whisk eggs and yolk in medium nonreactive bowl; gradually whisk in sugar. Whisking constantly, slowly pour hot lemon juice into eggs, then return mixture to saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with wooden spoon, until mixture registers 170 degrees on instant-read thermometer and is thick enough to cling to spoon, about 3 minutes (see photos, below).
Immediately remove pan from heat and stir in cold butter until incorporated; stir in cream, vanilla, and salt, then pour curd through fine-mesh strainer into small nonreactive bowl. Cover surface of curd directly with plastic wrap; refrigerate until needed.
No comments:
Post a Comment