Sunday, August 21, 2011

Blueberries and Crabs

The boys spent the night on the boat so our crab pots could soak a while.  That meant the house was very quiet this morning, especially since little Miss C decided to sleep until 8:45am!  After a walk to Tully's we ran in to our neighbor who was going to pick blackberries.  I love picking blackberries but had no supplies with me (bucket, gloves, garden tools to fight the vines).  But I decided I had to pick some blackberries when I walked past a tucked away location with more plump blackberries than I could count.  I sucked down my dirty chai and convinced Miss C to finish up the water so I could use the two 16oz cups to hold my pickings!

Best part?  The cups had lids so I didn't have to worry about the berries spilling all over our stroller on the walk back.  Of course, two of the stroller pockets were also stuffed full with blackberries. 
The blackberries quickly became a blackberry pie.  Lesson learned?  This blackberries were so juicy that the pie was too soupy after baking; even with the addition of some corn starch before baking.  Trick?  Add a tablespoon or two of uncooked tapioca beads to the fruit before pouring it in to the pie shell!   Here is a past post for blackberry pie.
The boys came home with quite a few keepers!  I love crabbing season!

No comments:

Post a Comment