Monday, August 15, 2011

Baking Powder Biscuits - on the grill!

I was flipping through our Traeger (smoker/bbq) cookbook and saw some tasty looking baking powder biscuits.  I had all the ingredients so gave them a shot.  Someone clearly didn't proof the recipe, because I think there was at least one cup of flour missing.  The dough was like soup, and there was NO way anyone could knead it, let alone stop it from running all over the counter on to the floor.  I added just over a cup of flour to get a better consistancy, and we were back on track.

I couldn't find my round cookie cutter, so instead I just shaped the finished dough in to a rectangle and cut in to eight squares. 
If you have similar issues with the dough being too runny, just gradually add more flour to the dough until it holds together.

Better Buttermilk Biscuits, Traeger Grill Recipes

1 1/4 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1-1/2 Tbsp sugar
3 Tbsp lard
2 Tbsp baking powder
2 Tbsp shortening
½ tsp baking soda
1 c. chilled buttermilk

Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda into mixing bowl. Sift mixture 3 times. Add lard and shortening to flour mixture; blend in with pastry blender or large fork until mixture has texture of corn meal. Add buttermilk and stir until a sticky dough forms. Pour dough out onto lightly floured surface and knead 6 to 7 times.

Roll dough out to ½-inch thickness; cut into 3-inch biscuits with cookie cutter. Place biscuits on cookie sheet. Start Traeger grill on Smoke with lid open until fire is established (about 5 minutes) allow grill to pre-heat for 10 minutes; switch to High (450ºF on thermostat). Place cookie sheet on grill’ close lid and cook 10 to 12 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown in color. Serve hot.

Makes: 8 (3-inch) biscuits.

No comments:

Post a Comment