Sunday, June 5, 2011

Snickerdoodles

My husband claims his all-time favorite cookie is the Snickerdoodle.  I do love a chewy snickerdoodle on occasion, but I'll typically never pick one over chocolate chip or oatmeal... and it isn't a recipe that I've got on regular rotation in the kitchen.  In fact, I'm not sure I've made snickerdoodles since Tony and I were dating.  Today he went on a business trip and ironically I saw an article about snickerdoodles.  I figured it was a sign to make a batch of these cookies for him.

The prepared dough prior to being wrapped in parchment and placed in the freezer for an hour to chill, prior to baking.
And the finished cookie.  Perfectly baked, nice and tender, and a secret ingredient in the sugar/cinnamon mix took these cookies up a notch on my favorites list.  Sweet with a hint of savory. Making snickerdoodles again did remind me of making them as a child which was fun, and Blake loved them.

These ain't your momma's snickerdoodles.  Well, if in fact they are hers, good for her and I wish I had seen her recipe sooner.
I made eight cookies today (as a test... and all eaten in an hour), and refrigerated the remaining dough wrapped in parchment and sealed in a ziploc bag.  I'll bake the rest on Tuesday when the husband returns!

Snickerdoodles, courtesy of www.dinneralovestory.com blog

Preheat oven to 400°F. In a large bowl using a hand mixer, mix together:

1 c. softened unsalted butter
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract

In a separate bowl, sift together:
2 3/4 c. flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Gradually mix in the dry mixture to the wet mixture until it’s all blended. Wrap dough in parchment paper and chill for about one hour in freezer.

Remove dough from freezer and form round balls of dough the size of small walnuts. Roll balls in mixture of 2 tablespoons sugar, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, and 1/4 teaspoon sea salt.

Bake for 8 minutes and cool on a rack. Makes 5 dozen 2-inch cookies.

1 comment: