Friday, June 22, 2012

Graduation Party

Tonight we had a graduation party for our big preschool graduate!  The family came over for all of B's favorite foods.  Macaroni and cheese, watermelon and cherries, cupcakes and rainbow sherbert.

I made vanilla cupcakes and topped them with blue and white frosting (school colors!) and then topped each with a 'graduation cap'.
The graduation caps consisted of an upside down peanut butter cup, Ghiradelli chocolate square, and a tiny blue candy tassle.  I took a toothpick and gently pushed through the center of the pb cup.  Then pushed the toothpick part way through the Ghiradelli chocolate.  To make a tassle I found a nasty looking candy in blue and cut it in strips to make the tassle.  I adhered the tassle with a teeny tiny drop of frosting.
For an appetizer I made a layered dip in individual cups.  Refried beans, guacamole, sour cream, salsa (no salsa in the kid's cups), shredded cheese and topped with some thinly sliced green onions.  The servings looked a little small until we started eating them.  Its amazing how much can fit in to one of those plastic cups! 
This is a great way for guests to walk around a party while enjoying an appetizer.  They can put on a plate with some chips and venture away from the serving area.  You can also help control how much dip your kids eat... I know mine would eat chips and dip all day long if I let them! 
I had some blue scrap ribbon and tied them around our white cloth napkins to look like diplomas.
And you wonder where I got my love for being crafty?  This is "The Graduate" that my mom made in college.  It is a paper mache face, glasses, hair and little robe and graduation cap.  This guy freaked me out when I was little.  He still freaks me out a bit! 


No comments:

Post a Comment