Thursday, June 14, 2012

Breakfast Cookies

There seems to be a trend on Pinterest.  Tons of recipes or photos of breakfast cookies or premade oatmeal, or some other quick breakfast idea.  After reading through most of these recipes there was so much focus on Splenda or fake sweeteners (which I am opposed to) as well as all natural ingredients or gluten free.   

I was on a mission to find a breakfast cookie that was semi healthy, easy to make and had a flavor that we'd actually enjoy eating.  After toying with a recipe I found during a massive internet search, I think I've come up with a great finished product.

The dough is thick and holds up well. 
It holds up so well that I actually had to flatten the cookies slightly before baking to ensure the center would heat through.
The end product is similar to a moist granola bar.  The flavor isn't what you'd expect from a cookie... remember, these are breakfast cookies and are aimed to be semi good for you.  Give these a shot and let me know what you think!

Jodi's Breakfast Cookie
2 very ripe bananas, mashed
1/3 c. apple sauce
1 3/4c. uncooked quick-cooking oats,
1/4 c. skim milk
1/4 c. raisins
1/3 c. chocolate chips, optional (If you exclude, use 1/2 c. raisins)
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp brown sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients in a bowl really well.  Let stand for 5-10 minutes so the oats can soak up some of the liquid. Use an ice cream scoop or large spoon and heap the dough onto a Silpat lined cookie sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes and let cool.  Store in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment