Tuesday, April 17, 2012

PB Banana Oatmeal Squares

Thanks again to Pinterest I came across an interesting breakfast or snack idea.  The oatmeal based bar is sweetened with brown sugar, peanut butter and banana.  No butter or oils.  I have an embarassing amount of over-ripe bananas so this was a must try recipe.  I did alter the original recipe slightly to match my own tastes.

The dry ingredients wait for the...
wet ingredients of milk, peanut butter, vanilla, banana and egg.
Combine and spread evenly in a greased 8x8" pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until the center is slightly firm.  The end result was a very moist (too moist for my husband and son) treat that I enjoyed as a breakfast and snack.  My daughter liked it, but didn't love it.  The results shocked me.... usually anything that contains peanut butter is a huge hit with my husband so I will try to make this again, but will cook even longer to see if it makes a difference (and I"ll update this post if it does!). 

And why not experiment by adding some Craisins or mini chocolate chips?  The addition of those items will raise the sugar content, but will give a nice flavor boost.
PB Banana Oatmeal Squares, adapted from gingerbreadbagels.com
1 1/2 c. quick cooking oats
1/4 c. packed light brown sugar
1 Tbsp white sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 c. milk
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 large mashed banana
1/4 c. creamy peanut butter

Mix together the quick cooking oats, light brown sugar, sugar, baking powder, kosher salt and ground cinnamon.  Add in the vanilla extract, milk and egg. Mix the ingredients together.

Then add in the mashed banana and peanut butter. Combine all of the ingredients.

Pour the mixture into a lightly greased 8 by 8 inch baking pan and spread evenly. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, or until slightly firm in center.

No comments:

Post a Comment