Our neighbors gave the kids a great book called Ugly Pie for Christmas. Its a story about a bear who is itch'n for some Ugly pie and collects ugly ingredients from his friends (green apples, walnuts, raisins...). The story is very cute, and at the end of a book is the recipe for Ugly Pie. Blake has wanted to make this pie since he received the book and today was the day.
Before picking him up at school, I did as much prep work as possible. Even though Blake loves to help bake, 4 year olds only have limited attention span... So I premeasured the sugars in one bowl, and the raisins, walnuts and flour in another bowl. B would help me measure the molassis, cinnamon and nutmeg.
I also peeled and sliced all the apples prior to him coming home, and made the pie dough and let chill in fridge until we were ready to roll out.
The counter was all ready for my 4 year old chef.Once we were home from school, Chef B rolled out the crust.
Meanwhile, I had a batch of Gwenyth Paltrow's Turkey Ragu from her website Goop on the stove. This sauce was really good with nice flavor and a hint of rosemary, but not my favorite. I've got a go to recipe that hasn't failed me yet. But, I do recommend trying this one out if you want a great pasta meal. You could easily freeze any sauce leftovers for a future meal. Click here to go to her recipe.
While waiting for dessert of Ugly Pie, the kids got restless!While the recipe doesn't create what I'll call my favorite pie... I'm not a huge raisin-in-my-dessert fan, but Blake scarfed it down and loved every bite. If you'd like a copy of the recipe you can email me or borrow the book from us. Or better yet, go check it out for you and your little one.
No comments:
Post a Comment