Thursday, April 14, 2011

Skinny Girl Disappointment

I'm not afraid to admit this.  I watch the Real Housewives of New York and Orange County.  I also watch Bethanny Ever After and have been intrigued by Bethanny's 'Skinny Girl Margarita' since watching her order it over and over on RHNY.  This week I looked up the pre-mixed beverage online and found that it was available in our local liquor store; and then made Tony pick up a bottle on the way home from work.  Yes, my poor husband had to walk in to the manly liquor store and buy a $15 bottle of Bethanny Frankel's Skinny Girl Margarita.  Not a very masculine task if you ask him.

I was uber excited to try the cocktail that contains a quarter of the calories of a typical restaurant margarita, and to find a margarita that was so easy to make that all I needed to do is twist open a bottle and pour.  I even went the extra step of shaking the drink with ice before pouring in to two glasses. 

First sip reaction?  Hmmm, this isn't too bad. 

Second sip reaction?  Maybe a slice of lime will help.

Third sip reaction?  I don't think I like this and it tastes tinny.  A slight 'diet' drink after taste. Severly disappointed.

Final outcome?  Tony drank his because it was a margarita.  He agreed it wasn't good, even with a half a lime squeezed in to our glasses.  I was disgusted by it.  I really wanted to love this drink because sometimes I get tired of juicing 20 limes for my killer margs.  But, I'd much rather make a Costco trip and stock up on limes than need to drink this premade margarita again.

I'll admit.  I tried it again today at dinner.  Even worse the second time around.  It killed me to pour out a margarita.

I won't hold it against you Bethanny.  I like that you came up with a margarita that is so low in calories (who knew restaurant margaritas were SO bad for you!?), the label is cute, and you made a few bucks off of me.  I think I'll just stick to watching your show with my own margarita recipe.

If anyone wants to try this marg let me know.  I've got over half a bottle left and I refuse to drink it.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jodi - For almost 2 years, I've been making the real version of Bethenny's skinnies (as my friends and I call them) and they are delish! I haven't tried the bottled version but it sounds like you've just saved me the hassle.

    They can be pretty strong but adding another wedge of lime usually fixes that problem. As the ice melts, they tone down a bit also.

    Pour Patron Silver over ice, muddled limes (I usually put a couple of wedges into a glass and smash with a muddler then just pour all of it including zests into the tequila), then add a splash of Cointreau.

    Good stuff!!!

    ReplyDelete