Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Turkey Burgers with Carmelized Onions

Tonight I was craving turkey burgers with carmelized onions.  Similar to the ones featured on burgers at Geraldine's Counter.  Sweet with a slight tang.

And with a little guess and by gosh I made carmelized onions so tasty that neither Tony or I put any condiments on our burgers.  Heaven.

Jodi's Carmelized Onions, enough for 2 burgers
1 large red onion, sliced in rounds
1 Tbsp unsalted butter
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1-2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
dried oregano, dried thyme, kosher salt, fresh ground pepper
Melt butter with olive oil in pan over medium heat.  Add onion and cover. Let the onions sweat for a good 5-10 minutes.  Keep an eye on 'em though... if they start to brown too quickly, turn down the heat.

Uncover onions and sprinkle a scant amount of oregano and thyme and keep cooking, tossing frequently. After a few more minutes add 1-2Tbsp good quality balsamic vinegar to the pan and stir.  Use this added liquid as a chance to scrape up any bits of onion that have cooked to the pan.  Add kosher salt and a tad of ground pepper and continue to cook/carmelize for another 15-20 minutes.  (Taste one of the onion pieces after about 20 minutes of total cooking to see if you need more salt - you want these bad boys to have flavor!)
Serve hot, and place directly on your burger patty.
My only regret with this recipe?  Not using two onions as I could have slathered twice as much on my burger!

Jodi's Secret Turkey Burgers, serves 2 adults and 1 kiddo
1 package ground turkey (usually they're around 20 oz or so)
diced red onion - 2-5Tbsp depending on your love for onions
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp each: dried oregano and dried thyme
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
Breadcrumbs - I only occasionally use these if I feel like the meat isn't holding up.  I'll add about 1/4-1/3 cup.

Mix all above ingredients together and form in to two large patties and one kid sized patty.  Cook on the grill and top with swiss cheese in the final minutes of BBQ'n.  (I personally prefer a nice white cheddar, like Ford Farm's Coastal Cheddar.  The Coastal has a great tang and a crunch to it! - you can usually find at Costco)

No comments:

Post a Comment