Ever been asked to provide an appetizer for a summer party and can't think of anything? Well, anything besides chips and salsa? I was reading a magazine that gave a few watermelon based appetizers... with a whopping 18lb watermelon sitting in my fridge this was the answer!
My husband is hosting a pool party for a bunch of his fraternity brothers tonight. Smoked ribs, beer, baked beans and tempuratures in the upper 90's. I figured adding a watermelon appetizer to his spread wouldn't hurt.
My husband is hosting a pool party for a bunch of his fraternity brothers tonight. Smoked ribs, beer, baked beans and tempuratures in the upper 90's. I figured adding a watermelon appetizer to his spread wouldn't hurt.
I cut a portion of my monster sized watermelon in to about 24 small cubes, about 1 1/2"*. Then I used a melon baller and took out just a tiny scoop on the 'top' of the watermelon cubes. I then set these aside with a paper towel on top (to soak up excessive watermelon juice).
Next, I grabbed a small package of plain goat cheese, about 5oz and mixed in a few tablespoons of finely chopped fresh basil. Using a small spoon I put little scoops of the goat cheese mix on to the top of each watermelon cube. I garnished with the tiny leaves from the tip of the basil plants in my yard. This appetizer can be made a few hours in advance, just make sure to store in the fridge!
*Side note... I prefer these to be a one or maybe two bite appetizer. Cut a sample watermelon cube and pop it in your mouth. If its too big, cut a smaller size and test it. Darn, you have to eat fresh summer watermelon while making this? Things could be worse.
No comments:
Post a Comment