Two items that are a must for this year's Thanksgiving. My favorite sweet potato souffle and a newly discovered drink, honeycrisp sangria.
I found this sweet potato recipe years ago, and every time I make it, we all go back for second or third helpings. If you enjoy sweet potatoes, and also love marshmallows, you need to try this! (recipe below)
The finished product... Served alongside a mini Thanksgiving meal I made tonight. Roast chicken, stuffing, salad and my beloved sweet potato dish. I did learn to not put the marshmallows so close to the edge of the dish. They melted over the side!
The honeycrisp sangria was a risk. I've never liked red wine based sangria (the only type I've tried), but because I love honeycrisp apples and chardonnay, I thought this would be a fun try. The only challenge was finding some 'unoaked' chardonnay. With the help of my local market's wine steward, I found a nice and inexpensive bottle to experiment with.
My test batch was just half a recipe. I feared I would ruin an entire bottle of wine if I didn't like this drink. I combined the wine, fruit, schnapps and spices in a tight sealing tupperware and placed in the fridge overnight. (I did not use pisco as called for in the recipe)
Today I anxiously awaited the sangria taste test. I garnished the wine glasses with sugar and cinnamon. Such a beautiful color.The finished product? A crisp, refreshing and perfectly fall flavored cocktail. It was so good my husband was asking for more and I knew this would be a great drink to start off our Thanksgiving dinner at my mom's. Now back to the store for more unoaked chardonnay!
Sweet Potato Souffle
3 large sweet potatoes cooked and whipped
1 c. sugar – try less sugar and brown2 eggs beaten
1/2 tsp salt
1 stick butter
1/2 c. evaporated milk
2 tsp vanilla
1 bag marshmallows
1/2 c. chopped pecans, optional
Peel and cook potatoes until tender. Drain potatoes and whip. Add sugar, eggs, salt, butter, milk and vanilla. Mix well and put in a greased 1 1/2 quart casserole. Bake in a preheated 325 degree oven for 25 minutes. Place marshmallows and pecans on top and return to oven for about 5 minutes or until brown on top.
Honeycrisp Sangria, adapted from Adam Seger & Food and Wine Magazine
2 Honeycrisp applesOne 750-milliliter bottle unoaked Chardonnay
1/3c peach Schnapps
1/4c pisco (I excluded)
1/4c honey
2 oranges- 1 quartered
1 lemon – quartered
1 lime – quartered
2 cinnamon sticks
2 quarter-size slices of fresh ginger
3 whole cloves
2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
Ice
Club soda
Mint sprigs – for garnish (I excluded)
Peel, core and chop one of the apples. In a bowl, combine the Chardonnay, Schnapps, pisco and honey. Add the quartered orange, the lemon, lime, cinnamon sticks, the chopped apple, ginger and cloves and refrigerate at least 4 hours. (I let mine sit overnight)
Strain the sangria into a pitcher. Peel, core and finely chop the remaining apple. Peel, section and chop the remaining orange. Mix the apple and orange in a bowl.
On a small plate, blend the sugar and cinnamon. Moisten the rims of wine glasses and dip in the cinnamon sugar to coat. Fill the glasses with ice. Pour in the sangria until three-quarters full. Top with a splash of club soda. Garnish with a spoonful of the chopped apple and orange and a mint sprig.
No comments:
Post a Comment