Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Kitchen Sink Pasta

Pasta dishes are great. You don't really need a recipe to make a meal with noodles.  You can add just butter and some parmesean cheese for an ever popular kid dish (adult too!).  Or add some crushed tomatoes, basil and a pinch of salt for a light summery dish.  Or add some butter, cream, cooked bacon pieces and cooked butternut squash chunks. Or go all out and spend half a day making a hearty sauce.

Tonight I was staring two cooked chicken breasts, cooked bacon, and the makings for caprese salad.  Tony was at a golf tournament, so I wanted something fast to make.  But also flavorful.  I knew caprese wouldn't be a smart item to serve a 4 and 1 year old.  Instead I chopped it all up and tossed with fresh fettucine noodles.

To get started, I put the grape tomatoes on a cookie sheet lined with foil and sprinkled with salt and some olive oil.  I put it oven on broil until the skins started to split and char a bit.
Meanwhile I boiled the water and cooked the fresh fettucini noodles, chopped up the cooked chicken breasts, basil, mozzerella, and cooked bacon.  When the noodles were done, I drained them and reserved a cup of pasta water in case the finished pasta needed some moisture.  Then added the chopped up ingredients as well as the tomatoes to the noodles and sprinkled each serving with some grated parmesean.  It was a hit with everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment